Thursday, October 1, 2009

Relay SWAT calls

Having read the Watch Out for That SWAT! blog post and a followup article in the Washington Post recently, it's a frightening thing when your home is invaded by a SWAT team. Apparently they're there for no reason other than the fact that someone tried to "prank" the police into thinking you're a dangerous person.

I use a cane or wheelchair when I'm out and about due to my knee surgery, and usually don't use the cane at home. Could this easily cause me to get shot with them thinking I was holding a weapon? Probably the best thing for me to do if this kind of thing happens would be for me to immediately stop where I am, drop the cane, and raise my hands. Or will they shoot anyway and ask questions later in their adrenaline-soaked mad dash through the door?

What's the best way to handle something like this?

1 comment:

Dianrez said...

Good question. Not much a deaf person can do if he finds his home suddenly invaded except to put up hands in the air and keep saying "deaf" in different ways.

Remember the case of the deaf guy caught coming out of the bathroom wearing just a towel. He got shocked with a stun gun nevertheless.